Tuesday, October 16, 2012

"Dance with Me, My Friend"

This is a post about some random events worth mentioning to my readers:

Cyprus Handicraft Service
Cyprus Handicraft Service

 
While doing research on Cyprus before coming here, I discovered the Cyprus Handicraft Service. It pays to do research before arriving somewhere so you don't miss something really awesome! Around my class schedule, I planned a visit to the Cyprus Handicraft Service where the government sponsors craft making to educate people in those arts and keep handcrafts alive in Cyprus. I really liked the concept of such a place, and I was excited to go. 








Weaving
Mosaics
During my visit, I observed embroidery, lace making, weaving, pottery, wood carving, mosaics and leather work. My favorites were mosaics and weaving! It was truly an experience to watch these crafts being performed in the style of traditional Cypriot villages. I visited the attached store and loved browsing the crafts made right there at the Handicraft Service. This was the perfect shop to buy some authentic Cypriot presents for people back at home. 


 Roommate Bonding
Anya and Me  :)



One night my roommate Anya and I somehow got on the topic of weddings, and she started telling me about Serbian weddings since she is Serbian (but really from Canada).  This led to a dancing lesson where Anya taught me Serbian dancing called Kolo, and we spent a good hour or so dancing around our apartment. It was a great bonding experience and I learned a lot about her culture at the same time. This moment is what inspired today's post title lyrics to be from "The Self-Worth Song" by my friend Rachel Marie! 







Oh, and There's School
University of Nicosia
Since I’m only in my third week of classes we’re just getting into actual work, so I promise there will be a more detailed post about classes in the future as evidence that I’m actually studying here! But for now I'll tell you about this: For my European Cultures class we took a field trip to the Old City, Nicosia and interviewed immigrants and locals about how immigration made Nicosia a multicultural city.  We had to find out if immigrants feel welcome in the community, and what locals think of them. After interviewing 3 immigrants and 2 locals, the general consensus was that immigrants came to Nicosia because of the growing opportunity to start a business, especially once the buffer zone opened up. Locals welcomed the immigrants because they had to pretty much, but really everyone gets along. One Greek Cypriot informed me that the only issue is with the Turkish people, whom he referred to as barbarians. The other Greek Cypriot, however, told me that Turkish Cypriots are people of God and should be welcomed like everyone else, if only political issues did not separate them. It was nice to hear this perspective about the Turkish people for a change, because it means that somewhere in Cyprus there is hope for unification of the island. 



Travel News!

Me and Katie in Venice



I am really excited to report that my friend Katie and I have made travel plans for our break week (Nov 25-Dec 2)! We will be traveling to London and Ireland, and we’ve been planning and booking planes and hostels ever since we decided! Stay tuned for that post cause I'm sure it'll be awesome!


Thanks for reading this quick post!


Till next time!
-Courtney <3





No comments:

Post a Comment